Monday, May 20, 2024
regency radio sussex news
Click here to listen to Regency Radio The Number One Advert Free Radio Station in Sussex

Kitchen Fire in Hassocks Prompts Fire Safety Alert

Firefighters urge vigilance and proper use of smoke alarms following incident.

Firefighters are emphasising kitchen safety and advising residents to keep their hobs clear following a recent fire in Burgess Hill.

On Tuesday, April 23, fire crews from Burgess Hill and Hurstpierpoint responded to a house fire on Friars Close in Hassocks after neighbors reported hearing a smoke alarm and called 999.

The incident occurred when the occupant left the hob on, igniting items left on the cooker. Firefighters arrived promptly and extinguished the kitchen fire.

Although the fire caused significant damage to the property, there were no injuries. Following the incident, firefighters visited neighboring homes to provide additional fire safety advice and ensure residents’ safety.

Watch Manager James Crockett stated, “Fires started by cooking account for more than 50 percent of accidental fires in the home. Most of these fires occur when people are distracted and leave things unattended.

“Please be aware of all the potential dangers in your kitchen and stay alert when cooking. Always remember to take pans off the heat if you are called away from the cooker and keep items such as tea towels and oven gloves away from the hob.

“Fortunately, the occupant had working smoke alarms which alerted their neighbors to this fire. It is important to install smoke alarms on every level of your home and test them regularly. Smoke alarms will alert you to a fire in your home at the earliest opportunity and give you time to safely escape.

“In the event of a fire in your home, always get out, stay out, and call 999.”

More Sussex News

Sussex News Pages

sussex news logo
Click here to listen to Regency Radio

Sussex Coast News

error: Content is protected by Sussex News