Ryan McLean pleads guilty to Portslade scissor stabbing

Brighton man Ryan McLean has pleaded guilty to a violent attack in a Portslade convenience store in February, in which he repeatedly stabbed his victim with a pair of scissors.

McLean, 39, of no fixed address, went on the run after the assault in Rishi News, South Street, on February 27, before being arrested in Liverpool on April 29.

He had been captured on CCTV chasing his victim – a 29-year-old local man – into the shop at around midday and carried out a sustained attack that included stabbing him with a pair of scissors.

The entire incident was caught on CCTV, which clearly showed McLean to be the perpetrator.

His victim was taken to hospital with serious injuries.

A manhunt was launched as Sussex Police officers sought to bring McLean into custody, including a £3,000 reward offered by the charity Crimestoppers for information leading to his arrest.

He was arrested in Liverpool with the assistance of Merseyside Police on Friday, April 29, charged with causing grievous bodily harm with intent and possession of an offensive weapon in a public place and remanded in custody.

At Lewes Crown Court on Thursday, May 26, McLean pleaded guilty to both charges.

He will be sentenced on Friday, July 15, at a court to be confirmed.

Detective Inspector Neil Phillips said: “This was a brazen, violent attack carried out in the middle of the day with complete disregard for the general public.

“Not only did McLean leave his victim with horrific injuries – which could easily have been tragically worse – he fled hundreds of miles in an attempt to escape facing justice.

“Thanks to the tenacity of our officers, staff and partners in Merseyside Police, we were able to bring him into custody, where the overwhelming evidence left him with no choice but to plead guilty to his crimes.”

More Sussex News

Sussex News Pages

Sussex Coast News

sussex news logo
Click here to listen to Regency Radio
error: Content is protected by Sussex News