East Sussex Fire Rescue Service have attended two fires today which were caused by residents leaving their garden waste stored up against or near to their properties. On both occasions, due to the extreme heat, the garden waste has caught fire and the fire has then spread to the building.
Update on both incidents
- At 09:49, we were called to attend a fire at a residential property on Gresham Way, St Leonards. Crews from Bohemia Road, Bexhill, Battle and The Ridge attended. Firefighters used four Breathing Apparatus and three Hose Reel Jets to extinguish the fire. One resident was treated on scene after suffering smoke inhalation.
- At 14:29, we were called to attend a fire at a residential property on Bembrook Road, Hastings. Crews from Bexhill, Battle, Bohemia Road and The Ridge attended. Firefighters used one Hose Reel to extinguish the fire and a Positive Pressure Ventilation fan to clear the property of smoke. One resident was handed over into the care of SECAMB after suffering from smoke inhalation.
Keep garden waste away from buildings
ESFRS are urging everyone to keep any garden waste or refuse away from their buildings. Garden waste or refuse should also be kept out of direct sunlight.
If you are having a BBQ in your garden, please ensure you:
- Set up your barbecue on level ground away from any garden waste, bushes, trees or other buildings
- Put only about 2 inches of charcoal in the barbecue and keep the rest away from the fire
- Only use recommended fluids or firelighters and never petrol
- Wear suitable clothing
- Be careful when cooking fatty foods to avoid flare-ups
- Make sure the coals are cool before trying to move the barbecue and empty ash onto garden soil
- Never empty coals into a dustbin
- Have a means of extinguishing any fire in an emergency on hand